Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tulsa Oiler fans complain, no matter what

Some people just like to complain. I guess I'm one that does as well, but I guess it's easier to see when other people do it. Anyway, I was reading a thread on the Tulsa Oiler fan forums (at http://www.tulsahockey.net/forum/index.php?topic=10716.msg97048) which was about possible attendance in their new arena (the BOK Center, see http://www.bokcenter.com ) and at some point, the discussion went more towards complaining that in previous seasons, the team office gave tickets away for Tuesday evening games. For some reason, this was felt as an insult to some season ticket holders.

The whole point of giving tickets away to Tuesday night games, was to boost attendance, and hopefully interest, in the games. If successful, this would lead to higher ticket sales on other nights, and as it was, those seats were vacant on Tuesday nights.

Baseball teams do this. Why not hockey?

Anyway, I'm a season ticket holder, and I don't really care if they give away tickets for games on nights when attendance is expected to be low anyway. The way I see it, the more fans in the seats, the louder we can make it and the more fun it'll be. Evidently, not all of us share that idea. Some feel that they paid their money, and they resent others getting in for free.

It's not like the free tickets are in the best seating areas. Those free tickets weren't as good as what most season ticket holders have. I like going to the games, having a good vantage point to see, and knowing that I'll have the same seats every game. I get to be friends with the people who sit around me and enjoy their company each game, as opposed to always being strangers to the people next to me (which would probably be the case if I were not a season ticket holder).

It seems to me that the team office is damned if they do and damned if they don't. No matter what they do, someone thinks its wrong and wants to complain about it. I do think it's funny that during the summer when no hockey is being played and we don't have much to talk about, that on the fan message boards, people seem to be hunting for something to discuss, and in the process, some hunt for things to complain about.

No comments: