Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tired of political hatred

I am as strong with political and social opinions as anyone. I'm so tired of the hatred for one belief over the other and the demonization that a lot of people have for anyone that disagrees with their own view.I heard my pastor talk about this one time, avoiding the politics, and just saying that the hatred seems to originate from the concept of 'pride', which we, as Christians, see as sinful.He went on to say that because of pride, we value our opinions over those of others, and we are so prideful that "we are right" and that makes us better people than the next guy "who is wrong".In simplicity, he says that we have become prideful of our political opinions, so much so that these opinions have become more important than our fellow human beings.I remember growing up, routinely hearing the phrase, "I might not believe what you believe, but I'll fight for your right to say what you believe".But I don't hear that anymore and haven't heard it in decades. Now what I hear is, "I not only disagree with you, but you're an asshole for believing what you believe, and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure everyone knows what an asshole you are, and we're going to make your life hell." "And make sure you keep your frickin' mouth shut, because if you go around saying any of this stuff, you might get more than just verbal threats, and certainly, you're going to have a tougher time finding a place to live and work; because we don't like your kind of intolerance and hateful speech".

No comments: