Thursday, September 24, 2026

I Feel Badly For Media College Students

 I've been photographing sports for more than 20 years.  I've always done it as a side-thing, and have not had to rely on it for my income.  I've made a little bit of money here and there, but I've seen things changing since I started, and it's harder for photographers (especially) and videographers to actually make any kind of living doing this.  I do it because I enjoy it, but I look at the college students that are hoping to get into sports photography.  I worry about them.

I have heard some of them talk while working along side them (they're interns) at various sporting events.  They seem very optimistic, and I worry that it's a false sense of confidence.  I hope I am wrong, but I have noticed in newspapers who they no longer employ fulltime photographers to cover sports, or fulltime photographer to cover anything in general.

It's the same when looking at the television business.  It looks as though the industry is changing right now, and they are scaling back.  It's not even good for reporters and broadcasters.  Their futures are scaled way back, and it looks like a lot of television companies are working to utilize AI, as well as part-time streamers to cover events.

So when I look at the local newspaper and television companies, it just feels like the future is not as bright for media people, as it was ten years ago (and it wasn't necessarily that great even then).  I just hope that these students have a good background in something else that they can apply their degree towards, in the event that they cannot find  gainful employment as a media person.

No comments: