Saturday, November 29, 2008

Photography with media credentials


IMG_3398_1600x1067
Originally uploaded by Les_Stockton

Lastnight's game between the Tulsa Oilers and the Wichita Thunder was the first game I was able to photograph with "full access" via media credentials. I now have a press pass from ProHockeyNews.com. This access allows me to photograph from areas I have not been able to photograph from before, and I can move around inside the arena to shoot from different locations. It is a learning experience though.



In the past, I've typically done my photography from my season ticket location (Section 101). For this game, I was at my seat for the first period. In the second period, I shot from a location on the 3rd level where the press sit, which allowed me to shoot from a vantage point I usually don't have. It was up high, shooting down, and I didn't think about it until later, but shooting down on the ice allows a lot more reflection back to the camera than I'm used to. This meant that the majority of my shots from the second period are a bit over-exposed. I usually have experimented and gotten the settings I wanted, and then just used them from game to game; which was fine, because I was always shooting from the location. Now that I'm moving around, I'm going to need to adjust, and I just didn't think about that this time.





This photo was taken in the first period, from my season ticket seat in Section 101.
I think the exposure is reasonably set, but my shots from the second period, the ones from above, are a bit washed out.






This photo was taken in the 3rd period in the area where the opposing team enters and leaves the ice. This area is just to the right of where I would normally be sitting in my season ticket area. I like it because the glass is not scuffed up as much and the bottom portion of the glass doesn't have an ad banner along the bottom 10 inches or so.

I plan to shoot from other areas in future games (there's another game tonight)(hopefully we'll win this time). Even with the media credentials, I feel a bit timid. I'm not one of those people who can just walk around as if I owned the place. Wearing the press pass still feels foreign to me. I feel more comfortable when I have my friend, who is a long-time writer for Pro Hockey News, is also standing there.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the other adjustments for me is that I don't get to sit down. I stand everywhere, except when I'm up in the press/media area. In addition, I already miss my friends, and I can tell them miss having me there too. I overheard one of them say "it's not the same without Les here." He continued, "There's no one to yell 'Stick lumber in his ear!!!'"

No comments: